7.10.2007

Pop Goes the Collar

My words and my actions have never been at odds as they have been over the popped collar.

I've been known to wear a polo shirt, and for no reason whatsoever, pop that collar right up. Why? Do I have some lurid fear of the elements pelting the back of my neck? Do I think that what is beneath the fold of the collar is so much more attractive than what's on top? Do I think that country-club chic is here to stay?

No.

Here's the simple rule: with a polo shirt, never pop that collar on purpose. If, for some reason, your shirt is refreshingly untidy and the corners of that collar just happen to be grazing your ears, fine. But if you feel the need to check yourself out to make sure the corners are sticking up and jutting out just right, you're doing something wrong. This rule, of course, does not apply to jackets. This might be because a jacket is actually designed to protect against the elements, so flipping that collar up need not require an excuse.

So you're from Long Island. So Victoria Gotti raised you. So hair gel, spray, and mousse, working in conjunction, is the only way to show your head in public. You've got a lot working against you. Don't be a victim and pop that collar. The world (outside LI and Freeport, Maine, at least) will appreciate it.

(Betsy Addendum: I just wanted to address those who feel its appropriate to pop one's collar due to vague hip hop reasons. What's up House of Pain, just because Kanye West popped his collar for 10 minutes in 2003 is not an excuse.




I didn't see the Louis Vuitton backpack trend sweeping the nation.)

(Phat Tony Addendum to preceding Betsy Addendum: Agreed, and don't forget what Kanye's been seen on magazine covers... can you say "pink G-Shock watch"? We'd rather not.)

3 comments:

Hutt said...

I feel many of these posts are talking directly to me.

I'm taking my overly preppy LI dude exemption on this topic.

Love the blog guys!!

phat tony said...

I think you can handle this in one of two ways:

a) understand that the first rule is rock whatever you're wearing with confidence, and if you don't feel confident in what you're covered in, then maybe it's time to change things up. You feel good? I think you might; or

b) Take the exemption.

Love you, kid!

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha.

truth.