8.29.2007

Denim on Denim...On Denim

We've never felt so much like we were in a codependent, on-again, off-again relationship than when we're thinking about or discussing denim on denim. In fact, we feel like we've just had a conversation with a Justin Bobby (read: head exploding in moment of hari kiri) every time we have to talk about it. Let's explain. For years, YEARS, although we've never, ever, deigned to wear it ourselves , we've sort of maintained the position that maybe, when executed correctly, denim on denim might be a legitimate fashion possibility. (Phat Tony: "Oh, awkward.... umm... I think I wore a denim jacket at the same time I was wearing jeans once. There was, however, a non-denim segue that softed the edge a little bit, but still... never again. In truth, before I left my apartment that night, I was thinking it was a risk I would be willing to make, but not even halfway through the evening, I was feeling awkward in that 'ugh, I'd kill for a Juicy Couture velour sweatsuit right now.' And, as we all know, that's a clear sign that something was wrong.... I've learned my lesson.")

Through thick and thin, as if we were working very hard in couples therapy, we've thought, hey, one can pull of most looks with the right amount of bravado, denim on denim should be no exception. Even when faced with hard times we kept the faith.

This picture is a visual expression of the innocence of youth, is it not? Before the baby dropping, before Jessica Biel...we long for simpler times when matching denim on denim outfits said "togetherness." Unfortunately, it also says BIG FLAMING MISTAKE. (PH: "And what about 'denim patchwork' cries 'subtly irony and elegence'? NOTHING.")

As if we finally summoned the courage to end a bad relationship, we've finally admitted that there are zero situations in life that call for denim on denim. Not matching, not contrasting, not when paired with horrible sneakers and a midriff bearing white tee.


We challenge the public to show us a correct, even passable, interpretation of the denim on denim scenario. Anyone....anyone?

No comments: