9.20.2007

We Love Waffle

We admit, we have a lot of opinions. We may even be a little quirky when we get obsessed with things. We repeat, quirky, yes... but inconsistent? Never. Our latest fetish addresses several themes; texture, comfort, and general yumminess. We've conveniently realized that this particular idea crosses into all three of our interests. Food, Fashion and Interior Design.

Let's start with the obvious. The classic waffle. While Phat Tony skews more towards the breakfast burrito, I have always been a carbs at breakfast kind of girl. Not that I don't enjoy eggs but they are usually reserved for those times when I'm being "good." Restaurant waffles perplex me though. I find they are usually a little thick and doughy for my taste (we warned you about the opinionated thing) and I prefer the homemade style. One does require a waffle maker and in counter space challenged NYC apartments, a homemade waffle becomes a definite luxury thus heightening the obsessive-compulsive nature by which I devour them (drowned in syrup and accompanied by veggie bacon, clearly) when given the opportunity. (Phat Tony: "I'm loving the Bets has approached this topic, if only because it's true, waffles, in their multitude of forms, tends to inspire. Along the lines of the breakfast waffle, I've recently been inspired by reruns of Top Chef, when Elia created her beachside breakfast waffle stacker. Sweet and savory, I'd be down for anyone to create a version for me to sample.)


This particular September has brought with it the perfect New York weather. We love fall, especially in the city as the stench of the trash subsides and the nights get crisp. Even now, years later, fall still reminds us of the beginning of school. There are also certain fabrics that one tends to associate with the fall season. I feel Phat Tony has a lot to say about flannel this year and I am obsessed with waffle-textured shirts. I'm not sure what it is about the funny texture that says comfort to me but perhaps part of the draw lies in the fact that these shirts are strictly weekend-wear and non work appropriate (never underestimate the power of the Pavlovian response mechanism). We're also strongly associating this fabric with altogether good things such as football, apple picking, pumpkins and sundays in general. (PH: "I'd also like to touch on the increasing value of layering. I know we're all pretty well versed on the wonders of layering, especially in the fall, but it's generally a failsafe tactic to layer a waffle-knit long sleeve along with other pieces of clothing... it adds an interesting texture, as well as fantastic comfort. A good move, either way.")

Finally, in the realm of home decor, I am obsessed with my new waffle-weave shower curtain. I tend to like the very plain in bathrooms. Super white with maybe a little washed out color here or there. Texture is paramount and the soft texture of this is so great. There's also sort of a chunkiness about it that makes it feel substantial and somehow also, comforting. I love the clean white but there are plenty of other colors here. (PH: "On a related, but non-waffle-oriented topic... I trust Bets's judgment because, well, it tends to be impeccable. I also like the idea of being simple in bathrooms. I just warn people who may not have Bets's eye for accents. When using a simple shower curtain, such as this one, or when using such large areas of pure whites in design, it's incredibly important to add a contrasting element in order to prevent the look from traversing from 'clean and simple' to 'oppressively sterile.' This can come in a variety of forms, from a simple use of a bold color, to adding an element that brings out the texture and/or graphic elements embedded in the pure white piece. Since white is a solid base for anything, the potential for accenting your space is virtually endless. Good luck!")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just purchased some nice white waffle dish towels from Crate&Barrel... and thought of you.

Loves it.