9.13.2007

Wizard Chic: It's time for Harry to call it a day...

I love Harry Potter.

I do. I've read all the books, multiple times, and I think that every moment spent devouring page by miraculous page was time well spent. From the point Hagrid knocked through the door of that dirty seaside cottage to when Mrs. Weasley bitch-slapped Bellatrix (well, you know what I mean), I couldn't get enough. Even after most of the movie versions have tried to tear down the wondrous fantasy J.K. worked tirelessly to create, I have stayed by Harry's side. He's my boy, we're peoples.

But there are lines to this fantasy world that we should really try not to cross.

What? Okay, so we are not the first to jump on this bandwagon, but regardless, we can't do anything but speak out. We've discussed a great many topics, and can't deny that there are some good things that are happening in this look... but the issue can be boiled down to one point...

Not since Gandhi has anyone been able to rock glasses with a perfect circle frame (and before you ask, no, not even you)... It took someone fictional to actually get people even thinking about this look again, and we beg of you Marc... keep it fiction. And to those who are enjoying this look... if it's children's fantasy fiction that really speaks to you this season, might I just say this: If McGonagall saw you like that, she would be so pissed. She'd turn into a cat, scratch your face off, and laugh. True story.

There's another ad making the rounds in this month's magazines that could drive this point home (and Bets, any help in finding said ad would be amazing)... picture those glasses on an androgenous human being, rocking an oversized sweater, wool 3/4 length pants with a hint of elastic in the hem, and, as a cherry on the proverbial sundae, army boots. Surprisingly, the boots were the only thing that screamed "fashion" to me. Everything else seemed a bit... well, editorial. And for those of you who don't know, "editorial" is fashion-speak from "Kind of a big mess, but, like a car-accident, you can't help but stare."

I might be off on my translation, but my fashion-to-English dictionary is SO five minutes ago. Please forgive.

1 comment:

betsy said...

I had been feeling REALLY awkward about this. Thank god you said something.